Mute Spelling is a word game that is simple to learn but difficult to win since it is too easy to make mistakes. It is suitable for older children and adults who can spell.
Age: Adults and older children
No. of Players: Any number
Time: 5+ minutes
Aim: To spell words without saying any vowels.
1. The leader gives Player One a word. The word should be relatively easy to spell. If the player does not know how to spell that word, another word is given.
2. Player One must spell the word by saying the consonants but using the correct symbol in place of any vowels (hence the name, Mute Spelling).
|A||Hold up your right hand|
|E||Hold up your left hand|
|I||Point to your eye|
|O||Point to your open mouth|
|U||Point to any other player|
For example, a player spelling the word "APPLE" would start spelling the word by holding up their right hand before saying P-P-L and then holding up their left hand.
3. Play continues with a different word for each player.
4. All players start their score with the letter "A". Any player who mistakenly says a vowel loses one point and proceeds to the next vowel. In the example above, if they held up their right hand and then said P-P-L-E, their score would change from "A" to "E". Their next mistake would change their score to "I", then "O" and finally "U". If a player makes a mistake when their score is "U", they are out of the game.
5. The last player left in the game wins.
Note: It is not necessary to have a leader for Mute Spelling so long as everyone can find words to spell for the other players.
|Click on the links below for more Family Word Games such as ...|
Do you have a favourite Word game that you want to share with all our readers? You can share YOUR Word game and/or check out other readers' favourite Word games. It's easy! Just click on this share YOUR Word game link and follow the instructions.
Thank you for visiting our website!
The Family Guide to Party Games
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 1)
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 2)
The Family Guide to Printable Board Games
The Family Guide to Printable Travel Games