Go Fish card game (also known simply as Fish) is a simple kids card game which young children love. Children sit around a table. An adult or older child needs to shuffle and deal the cards, and oversee the game.
Age: 3+ (as soon as a child can recognise written numbers and letters)
No. of players: 2 or more (2-5 is good)
Equipment: One standard deck of cards (remove the jokers)
Time: 10 minutes+
Aim: The aim of Go Fish card game is to be the first player to place all their cards on the table in sets of four.
1. The deck of cards is shuffled and dealt so that each player receives either seven cards (for 2-3 players) or five cards (for 4+ players). The rest of the deck is placed face down in a pile (known as the fishpond) in the centre of the table.
2. Players look at their cards and try to make a set of four matching cards, each with the same number or letter. For example, Player One may have the following cards in their hand.
4♣ K♠ 10♥ 5♣ 5♦
They could try to collect a set of 'fives' by looking for the two missing 'fives' cards; 5♠ and 5♥ .
3. Player One then asks any other player if they have a 'fives' If they do, that player hands the 'fives' to Player One, who can then ask again (to either the same player or another player) for a 'fives' If another player does not have a 'fives' they say "Go Fish" and Player One takes a card from the fishpond and puts it with the rest of their hand. Players may end up with many more cards than they started with.
4. The player to the left of Player One then has a turn asking for a card from any player, and so on.
5. When a player has a set of four cards (for example, 5♣ 5♦ 5♠ 5♥ ), they put it face up in front of themselves.
6. Hint: Players should listen to the cards other players ask for. This may give them a clue when it's their turn to ask for a card.
7. Play continues until;
8. The winner is the player with the most sets of four cards.
|Click on the links below for more Card Games such as ...|
|More card games for two players
||Card games for children of all ages
Go Fish Card Game
Hockey Card Game
My Ship Sails
Clock Patience (for one player)
Do you have a favourite Card game that you want to share with all our readers? You can share YOUR Card game and/or check out other readers' favourite Card games. It's easy! Just click on this share YOUR Card game link and follow the instructions.
Thank you for visiting our website!
The Family Guide to Party Games
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 1)
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 2)
The Family Guide to Printable Board Games
The Family Guide to Printable Travel Games