Gutera Uriziga is a fun outdoor game played by children in the African country of Rwanda.
Age: All ages
No. of players: 4 or more
Equipment: 1 stick (approximately 1.5 metres/5 feet long) per layer; 1 large hoop
Time: 1-2 minutes per round
Aim: To throw your stick through the hoop and accumulate the most points.
1. To play Gutera Uriziga, one child is chosen as the leader. This player is given the hoop.
2. All players stand shoulder to shoulder in a straight line holding their sticks. The leader stands about 15 metres (50 feet) in front of the group but over to one side.
3. The players get ready to throw their sticks. On the word 'Go' the leader rolls the hoop in front of the players. The players then try to throw their sticks through the rolling hoop.
4. If the player is successful in throwing their stick through the hoop they receive one point.
5. When players have ended the game the winner is the player with the most points.
Note: The sizes of the sticks and the distance thrown may be adapted to suit the age of the children and the size of the hoop.
Caution: Players must take care when throwing the sticks to avoid injury to people or damage to property.
Source: Adapted from "Games Around the World" UNICEF New York
|Click on the links below for more Worldwide Games such as ...
Do you have a favourite Worldwide game that you want to share with all our readers? You can share YOUR Worldwide game and/or check out other readers' favourite Worldwide games. It's easy! Just click on this share YOUR Worldwide game link and follow the instructions.
Thank you for visiting our website!
The Family Guide to Party Games
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 1)
The Family Guide to Christmas Games (Volume 2)
The Family Guide to Printable Board Games
The Family Guide to Printable Travel Games